When spring rolls around, and summer is approaching, all you want is something cold and delicious. I’ve got you covered with this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream! The mint flavor is refreshing, while the cold, creaminess adds a bonus of delight! Let’s not forget the chunks of dark chocolate chips throughout every bite that make this ice cream so much better. This Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream contains no artificial dyes or ingredients—it gets its gorgeous green color from three secret ingredients. This Paleo ice cream is also is diary-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and clean-eating certified!
St. Patrick’s Day is only five days away! 🍀🤗🍀 In festivities, I decided to post something green. What better to present you with than Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream? #greendessertmonth! 💚
As I’ve told you before, mint chocolate chip is my absolute favorite ice cream flavor! I’m not sure why, but is has been ever since I could remember. If mint chocolate chip isn’t an option, you better believe I’ll reach for anything chocolate for my second choice. 😋🍫🍦
Anyways, since I’m a mint chocolate chip ice cream fanatic, I’ve tried many brands. Nothing could ever beat Baskin-Robbins’.
Although I moved away from Scottsdale to Payson when I was seven, my family and I still went back on a regular basis for family occasions (pretty much our whole family lives there), shopping, and all doctors appointments—it’s only a little over an hour away.
In that sense, we would pass through Fountain Hills (an upscale town right before making your way up to Payson) on our way back home. Although Fountain Hills is fairly small, it still offered much more than the small town we grew up in. One of our favorites was Target. 😍
Michael and I LOVED shopping at Target—who doesn’t love Target? 💁 It just has a quality that’s addictive and exciting. 😜 That’s where we did all our back to school shopping and bought new CDs for the way home (yes, this was before IPods!).😱😂
No matter the time, my mom would always offer to get Michael and I some food for the drive home (god forbid we weren’t satisfied for one second lol). Our choices were—KFC, Subway, Wendy’s, Taco Bell, and McDonald’s.
Besides the fast food that we used to love so much, there was a Baskin-Robbins.😏
I remember after every dental cleaning, the first thing Michael and I wanted to do was eat.🍴 Our teeth were usually free of cavities, with the exception of one or two every now and then. In that sense, we thought we needed an award. 😁🏆 Ice cream was the choice! 🍨
Of course, we had to wait thirty minutes before eating, but it took around that time to travel from the dental office in Scottsdale to the Baskin-Robbins in Fountain Hills. It was meant to be. 😉
Uhh … I remember how much I treasured their mint chocolate chip ice cream. Nothing could compare … until this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. 🤤
My goal was to create a copycat of my cherished flavor and brand—and I totally hit the nail on the head! I created this ice cream a long time ago and I couldn’t believe how AMAZING it tasted when I tried the first bite! My eyes literally expanded twice the size and a smile grew on my face that I couldn’t control. 😮😃Luckily for me, Michael doesn’t like mint so this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is ALL MINE when I make it. 😈
This sinless Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is one of the very few things that I’m NOT into sharing. Lol.
With it’s smooth and creamy texture, overflowing mint flavor, and cold dark chocolate chips with every spoonful can you blame me? 🤷
If you like obsess over mint chocolate chip ice cream like I do, you honestly won’t believe how delicious this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is—hogging it all for yourself as well. 😆
One thing that will surprise you the most is that there is a secret vegetable and fruit in this ice cream! 😮SPINACH and AVOCADO. 💚💚 These super foods help this ice cream acquire its green hue, as well as the use of fresh chocolate mint (or regular mint) leaves.🌿 The avocado also aids in this ice cream’s creaminess from the healthy fats. 🥑 Additionally, since avocado and spinach have very mild flavors, the taste of the ice cream isn’t effected whatsoever—so no worries there! 👍😋
The chocolate mint leaves really send this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream in a category of perfection! 😍🤤I never knew they existed until my dad got a plant at the Home Depot! However, if you can’t find them, regular mint leaves taste incredible too. 😊
Nevertheless, if you want your kids to get some more greens in, make them some of this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream! They’ll never know they’re eating something sinless, because of the ridiculous deliciousness going on. It’ll be our little secret. 😘
Seriously! I even made it for part of my birthday dessert (paired with Paleo Double Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies [*coming soon!!*]) just last month because it’s that much of a pleaser!
If you make this Paleo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, especially for the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, don’t forget to tag me! ❤️ Have a fun and safe St. Patrick’s Day, everyone! 🤗🍀 I know what I’ll be doing … watching the premier of Beauty and the Beast at iPic!! 😱💗 So excited!!! 💃💃😃 #sabrinassinlesssecrets #TripleS #becausesinlessisdelicious
By the way, thanks for the flower arrangement, Mom!! 😘 Recalling back, I don’t think we could figure out what kind of flowers they were, but how stunning is the color?!
- 1 can full-fat, organic coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or another non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 cup fresh, organic spinach leaves, firmly packed
- ¾ cup organic chocolate mint leaves (can sub regular mint leaves)
- 4 large, organic egg yolks, room temperature
- ⅓ – ½ cup raw honey or pure maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin (click on ‘gelatin’ for the link for the proper kind to use) (optional, but recommended for the creaminess and added nutrition)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, arrowroot starch, or cornstarch (helps with creaminess)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract (optional for a stronger flavor; I always use it)
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- A heaping ½ cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips (70% and up) (about 100g)
- Start by adding the coconut milk, almond milk, spinach leaves, mint leaves, avocado, tapioca starch/arrowroot starch/cornstarch in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Then, transfer it to a non-stick medium saucepan over low heat. You do NOT want it to boil, or else when the eggs are added it will cook them into scrambled eggs!
- Next, in medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, vanilla and peppermint extracts, maple syrup/honey, and sea salt. Then sprinkle the gelatin over the top and whisk to combine.
- Thereafter, tend to the saucepan mixture, whisking every once in a while for about 2-5 minutes. Once the mixture is warmed, take about a cup of it and slowly pour it into the egg mixture, while whisking. This properly pasteurizes the eggs without cooking them.
- When finished, add the warm egg mixture to the saucepan and whisk together. After it sets for about 2 minutes, take it off the burner.
- Set a strainer over a heat-safe bowl and pour the mint chocolate chip ice cream mixture into the bowl over the strainer. Discard any unwanted remnants.
- Transfer it to the refrigerator for a few hours, or until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, churn it in your ice cream maker (that has been properly frozen for at least 24 hours) for about 20 minutes. However, in the last five minutes of churning, add the chocolate chunks/chips!
- Enjoy!! 🙂
The cook time includes churning
This ice cream will last for up to 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer! 🙂