This double layer Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole is oozing with Mexican goodness! This casserole is layered with homemade Paleo tortillas and packed with three melty cheeses, “refried” black beans, grass-fed ground beef, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and SPINACH! Or kale if you prefer! Did I forget to mention that it’s completely sinless and delicious?
Mexican food seems to hold a special place in all of our stomachs, especially when Cinco de Mayo rolls around. 🇲🇽💃🏻👏🏼 I know there’s going to be lots of Mexican cuisine cooking going around these parts so I wanted to unlock one of my very best recipes—The Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole!😋
This Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole tastes just as good as it sounds! I’m not one that favors spicy foods, so when it comes to “Mexican food” I tend to get a little wary. However, I like Mexican flavors, so Mexican night is always something I look forward to. Ironically I know quite a few people that feel the same way. In that sense, I wanted to create a new recipe to spice things up without too much spice! 😉
I had made an amazing casserole that I found on Pinterest a few years ago and I couldn’t forget how much I enjoyed the tortilla layers with refried beans. Sadly, I couldn’t re-find it. 😕As a result, it inspired this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole! 😍
This was one of those recipes that I was super excited to try—bringing it up to Michael more than a few times! This Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole wasn’t something he was ecstatic about (like the Healthy Brown Rice Crispy Treats (or bites) that he’s more than obsessed with now). He loves Mexican food, but I don’t think he envisioned this casserole like I did. Once he tried it, he completely fell in love with it and now it’s one of his most favorite recipes ever!
It’s almost gross seeing how he eats it; of course, he eats about three servings at a time and he’s been known to also eat it with potatoes, chicken or pork chops. 😝 WHAT?! 😂 He literally just cuts everything up with his fork and eats it within minutes. I don’t know how he isn’t 300 lbs. 😂 As Ive said before, Michael and I have seriously high metabolisms!
Luckily, I got this recipe right on the first try—it’s hard not to because it’s so easy to prepare! You’ll feel like a cooking expert, baring confidence as you assemble it, sprinkling a blend of three cheeses over each layer.😋
Let’s talk about the taste. There are a myriad of flavors going on, but they all synchronize to craft this perfect Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole. It isn’t too spicy, but it offers enough kick to satisfy your cravings! Feel free to adjust the spices or add an additional jalapeño pepper. 😉
I used my favorite tortilla recipe, Easy Paleo Tortillas, which tastes super yummy, but feel free to use store-bought gluten-free tortillas or traditional tortillas if you aren’t gluten-free. If you use my recipe, just roll the balls smaller so you get 6-inch tortillas. 👍🏼
So these magical sinless Paleo tortillas are the heart of this dish, holding everything together and bringing out incredible flavor. On top of them are my three best-loved cheeses: cheddar, fresh Parmesan, and fresh mozzarella. ❤️ I know, not very Mexican; this is where my Italian roots come out. 😆Feel free to use your favorites!
Thereafter comes another new recipe, “refried” black beans. I’m obsessed with these!!! 😍 I basically just blend black beans, salsa, and some spices in a food processor/blender and there you go! Homemade “refried” black beans. They’ve replaced the not so healthy, canned store-bought refried beans I used to eat. Trust me on this one. 😏
To really glorify this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole, a blend of grass-fed beef, tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, onion, fresh parsley or cilantro, and spinach or kale seasoned with spices comes into the mix. 😎
Oh wow. I’m getting hungry writing this post and seeing these pictures! 😍😅
After the casserole is all done, hot and perfuming your house like an esteemed Mexican restaurant, you cut into it and notice its irresistible layers. Then your nose whiffs up its mouthwatering aroma. Needless to say, you need to try and control yourself during this time. 😂
Keep it together.
Surprisingly, when you cut into this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole it makes flawless serving squares. It won’t fall into a goopy mess when you transfer it onto plates. This Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole stays beautiful the whole time you’re feasting.
I love to top it off with olives, fresh avocado, parsley, and sour cream—you can also never go wrong with bacon crumbles!
I’m telling you, once you dig your fork into this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole and pull apart a bite—melty cheese stringing from one end to the other—your anticipating heart won’t be disappointed as it unifies with your mouth. The experience can’t be written, nor can it be explained.
It’s something indescribable and now, unforgettable—like the casserole that inspired it!
- Easy to make
- A crowd-pleaser
- A vegetable-sneaking recipe (for those picky kids or spouses)
- Completely satisfying
Another thing I like about this recipe is that it doesn’t make you feel super full! For some odd reason, it’s almost soothing to your stomach and allows you to feel comfortably full. This is also quite dangerous, because it keeps you coming back for more! 😈
Like I said, assembling this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole is easy and pretty fun! You can even get your kids involved! Let me show you. 😊
Start by making the awesomely delicious “refried” black beans. Add the drained and rinsed black beans, your favorite salsa (I use the homemade salsa from my family’s restaurant—it’s the BEST!!), and the spices.
Then, blend until everything is combined and smooth and then set aside as you prepare the rest.
Next, we’ll make the beef and vegetable mixture.
In a large non-stick or stainless steel skillet, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and then, add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and stir so the oil coats everything evenly. Cook until everything has softened and the onions become translucent. Thereafter, add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
Then, add the tomatoes, ground beef, corn (if using), and spices and stir together. Cook until the meat is done and no longer pink.
Lastly, add the spinach or kale and fresh parsley or cilantro and mix together. Once the spinach/kale has softened, turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the burner.
Now to assemble this lovely Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole!
Preheat your oven to 350°F while you assemble.
In a 9″x13″ baking dish, arrange two homemade, 6-inch Easy Paleo Tortillas (or store-bought) on the bottom of the dish.
Next, sprinkle a heaping 1/4 cup of cheese over it.
Then, evenly spread half of the “refried” black beans over it.
Thereafter, sprinkle with an additional heaping 1/4 cup of cheese.
Top with a layer of half of the beef/vegetable mixture and sprinkle another heaping 1/4 cup cheese over it.
Repeat these steps once more (tortillas, cheese, beans, beef/vegetable, more cheese).
Top with optional sliced black olives and then cover the casserole with foil.
Carefully place in the oven (it will be a bit heavy) and cook for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and turn the oven to broil and return the casserole to the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and just beginning to brown.
Let the casserole sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with avocado, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, parsley/cilantro, bacon crumbles, or anything you desire!
Just look at that melty, browned mozzarella cheese!! 😋
I’m so excited to have this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole on my blog so you can enjoy it too!! 😊I hope you all have a wonderful Cinco de Mayo and that you don’t get too out of control. 😎🎉💃🏻🎉 We all do it! I foresee sombreros and maracas emerging! 😜Please don’t forget to take a picture if you make this Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole and share it with me on social media! Don’t forget to tag me. 😘❤️ #sabrinassinlesssecrets @sabrinassinlesssecrets #TripleS #becausesinlessisdelicious #sinlesssunday
- ½ lb. grass-fed ground beef (90% lean and 10% fat or 80% lean and 20% fat) (can sub regular ground beef)
- 4 6inch Easy Paleo Tortillas (can sub store-bought gluten-free or regular tortillas)
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I used a blend of cheddar, fresh Parmesan, and fresh mozzarella)
- 2 cups fresh spinach or kale
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, no salt
- 1 cup corn, frozen or canned (optional—I didn’t use it because I don’t eat corn, but it would be a great addition!)
- 1 5 oz. can black olives, sliced and drained (optional)
- 1 small yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, seeded and diced (any color you like; I used a yellow one)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans (low sodium or no sodium)
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Drain and rinse two cans of black beans and transfer them to a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Next, add the salsa and spices and mix until everything is combined and smooth.
- Set aside
- In a large non-stick or stainless steel skillet, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and then, add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and stir so the oil coats everything evenly.
- Cook until everything has softened and the onions become translucent.
- Thereafter, add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Then, add the tomatoes, ground beef, corn (if using), and spices and stir together.
- Cook until the meat is done and no longer pink.
- Lastly, add the spinach or kale and fresh parsley or cilantro and mix together. Once the spinach/kale has softened, turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the burner.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Take two 6-inch tortillas and arrange them on the bottom of a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Next, sprinkle a heaping ¼ cup of shredded cheese over the tortillas.
- Then, evenly spread half of the “refried” black beans over it.
- Thereafter, sprinkle another heaping ¼ cup over it.
- Top with a layer of half of the beef/vegetable mixture and sprinkle another heaping ¼ cup cheese over it.
- Repeat these steps once more (tortillas, cheese, beans, cheese, beef/vegetable, more cheese)
- Top with optional sliced olives and then cover the casserole with foil.
- Carefully place in the oven (it will be a bit heavy) and cook for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and turn the oven to broil and return the casserole to the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and just beginning to brown.
- Let the casserole sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Enjoy with avocado, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, parsley/cilantro, bacon crumbles, or anything you desire!
Reheat in the microwave or a preheated oven at 400°F for a few minutes.