This Gluten-Free Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is the perfect sinless comfort food! The warm, mildly spicy Mexican flavors pair wonderfully with fall. One of the best things about this soup is that the slow-cooker will do all the hard work for you—so, add all the fresh vegetables, chicken breasts, herbs and spices in your all-mighty crockpot and let your house fume with Mexican goodness!
Comfort food just got a whole lot better, because your family, friends, loved ones, and yourself can feel extra good about eating this slow cooker Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup since it’s all natural and screaming with deliciousness! 😋 What more could you ask for?
I’ve been waiting for, what seems like, forever to publish this Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup Slow Cooker Recipe! I tried posting it earlier this year, but then summer came too fast and I just felt like it wasn’t fitting, given the scorching summer rays. Soup and sun don’t make the best couple. 😕 So, instead, I chose to wait until fall rolled around. 😒
As of Friday, we’re officially in fall! 🍂🍁🎃 Yay!! Hello, holiday season! Or should I say, hello, Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup? 😏 Let’s do both, because they make such a perfect pair! 💚
This soup is one of Michael’s all-time favorites! He’s the only reason why it’s here today, so you can thank him for that. 👏🏼 It all started when we were reminiscing about our childhood and he randomly expressed his love for tortilla soup. I had no idea! My parents never made it growing up, but he said he tried it at school in third grade for an assignment—all the kids had to go home and make tortilla soup from a recipe the teacher provided.
I had the same teacher a year later, so I remembered eating it then also, but, apparently, it didn’t stick with me like it did with him. I was so surprised because he hadn’t mentioned it once until a few years ago. After he requested for me to make a sinless gluten-free version, I got to work! 💃🏻
It took a few times to get it just right, although, it never disappointed. 😋
The first time I dug into this Slow Cooker Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup I could see why it stayed with Michael for so long! It is, no doubt, my favorite soup, and it might be because Miguel said it is the best tortilla soup he’s ever had. 🙌🏼🍲
I always get the reaction of constant, “MMMMs” and “SO GOODs!” 😍
I even got my mom to join the club and she’s super picky with Mexican food, especially tortilla soup. Nonetheless, she loved this soup and immediately asked me for the recipe so she could make it! 😊
That’s when I know I hit the jackpot! 💰😜
The flavor isn’t too spicy, but you can still adjust it to your liking if you like it hot. 😉 Regardless, Mexican hints are throughout each bite—fresh vegetables of onion, jalapeño pepper, green chilies, black beans, and corn; the sweet taste of tomato; shredded, tender chicken breasts; and the right amount spices and herbs that make this soup resembled a fiesta. 😍
Don’t even get me started on the toppings that put this soup over the top! Like melty cheese, black olives, avocado, lime, bacon crumbles, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of parsley or cilantro, jalapeño, chives, and let’s not forget the star—homemade gluten-free tortilla strips! 😋
These seasoned tortilla strips are made from my Easy Paleo Tortillas and they’re so good! They even make a great snack on their own.
By the way, since I created this Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup Slow Cooker Recipe, Michael and I have cut out corn, so if you’re looking for a grain-free option, just omit the corn and add an additional can of black beans. It’s what I do now when I make it and we don’t miss the corn at all!
Nevertheless, if you’re ready to wrap up in a blanket, snuggle your nose under a steam-rolling bowl of homemade Slow Cooker Gluten Free Chicken Soup—melty cheese stringing from your spoon to the bowl of Mexican heaven and softened tortilla strips basking in an array of vegetable, chicken bliss—I’ve officially unlocked the sinless recipe box for you. 😘🔑
I hope you guys love this easy, nutritious, and yummy soup! What’s your favorite thing about fall time—football, the holidays, special recipes? I’d love to hear it! 😊 If you guys make this Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture 📷 and post it on social media, tagging @sabrinassinlesssecrets and hashtagging #sabrinassinlesssecrets! 😘❤️ #becausesinlessisdelicious #TripleS #sinlesssunday
- 2 – 4 organic chicken breasts, depending on how much meat you like (1 – 2 lbs.)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 homemade Easy Paleo Tortillas (can sub another gluten-free tortilla of choice)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, reduced sodium
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- ¾ - 1 cup yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn (can sub another can of black beans for grain-free option)
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1-2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients in a jumbo plastic bag over night or in your slow-cooker and set it in the fridge—if time or space doesn’t permit, you can alternatively place everything in the slow-cooker the morning of.
- Then, secure the lid and turn the heat on low and cook for 6-8 hours, preferably 8.
- Right before the soup is finished, preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut one or two of my Easy Paleo Tortillas in strips and set them on a large baking pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and a bit of cayenne and toss until the strips are fully coated.
- Thereafter, spread the tortilla strips evenly on the pan and bake for 5 minutes or until they're crunchy.
- Once the soup is finished, take two forks and shred the chicken—it will fall right apart! Then, stir everything together and serve with fresh tortilla strips and any toppings you’d like!
The soup pictured above has 4 chicken breasts and 5 cups of broth.
This soup also freezes wonderfully for up to 2-3 months in airtight freezer containers.