Throw out the packaged Mexican rice that’s filled with preservatives! You can now have a delicious, homemade Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice that’s made with all natural ingredients! It’s quick and easy to prepare and makes the perfect side dish to Mexican night. With just the right amount of spiciness and ample Mexican flavors, this gluten-free, vegan, clean-eating, and guilt-free rice will be your new go-to!
Cinco de Mayo is approaching, so I decided to post a festive recipe! 🇲🇽💃🏻🕺🌯🌮🌽🍅🥑🌶 That being said, Mexican night wouldn’t be complete without Mexican rice, and I’m not talking about any Mexican rice, I’m talking about this Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice. 😋😏 Whether you’re making tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, casseroles (like my The Ultimate Gluten-Free Healthy Mexican Casserole), or quesadillas this Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice will claim its spot on your plate. 🍽
Besides the taste—wait, ✋🛑we didn’t talk about that yet. The flavors are just like restaurant-style Mexican rice, offering a touch of lingering spiciness and Mexican flavors from spices like cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. 😙 The final addition of fresh cilantro or parsley really finalizes this dish (I use parsley because I’m one of those people that just DON’T like cilantro 😳😝). The texture is fluffy with a hint of creaminess, making each bite more pleasing. 😋
Now I can say, besides the great fiesta taste, this Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice is:
- Refined sugar-free
- Made healthier with brown rice
- Easy and quick to make
Can you believe it? 😱 This Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice really checks all the boxes. ✔ It’s a healthy side dish that’s also budget-friendly and easy to make, even on busy nights! 😉 I guarantee your family will love it! 😍 If you like prefer spicier food, you can sub green chilies for the green bell pepper or increase the cayenne pepper (be careful; a little goes a long way).
Or if you like it less spicy, you can completely omit the cayenne pepper. I like a little bit of spiciness, so this recipe is suitable for my liking of heat. However, I do know a lot of people that like super spicy food, so you can increase the level if you prefer. 🔥 I think I’ll stick to my preferred heat level; I don’t like to feel like I’m punishing my tongue with an inferno. 😜💨 😂
Nevertheless, if you make this Skinny and Simple Mexican Rice, don’t forget to take a picture 📸 and share it with me online tagging @sabrinassinlesssecrets and hashtagging #sabrinassinlesssecrets so I don’t miss it! 😘 I’d love to see a picture! Try it out for Cinco de Mayo. ❤ See you next #sinlesssunday! 🤗
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth, low-sodium (can sub chicken broth, but won’t be vegan)
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
- ¾ cup green bell pepper, diced (can sub green chilies if you want is spicier)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Then, add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened.
- Thereafter, stir in the garlic.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Next, stir in the rice.
- Thereafter, pour in the broth and add the spices. Stir to combine and cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to low and cook the rice for about 20 minutes.
- When the 20 minutes are up, remove the skillet from the heat and let the rice sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve! Enjoy! 🙂